Amidst all my unpacking and reorganizing, I was overcome with a desire to redo a lamp of mine. I got it from my sister a couple of years ago, because she lent it to me... or left it in a move, and it just started traveling with me.
It never really fit in, and that was fine for a time. No longer! No more fake patina! No more random floral that had had something spilled on it 7 years ago (when it wasn't in my possession). On a whim I did decide to save the beads though... so in the middle of organizing my work space, I stopped and fixed up my little lamp.
The best part was that I was lucky enough to have some of the crazy awesome Ruby Star Rising View Finder print from the beautiful and amazing Melody Miller right on hand! So I pulled out my paints, and I made a teal to match the teal view finder disc.
while the paint dried before another coat, I carefully seam ripped the outside fabric off of the shade. There was a liner shade that I didn't want to deal with so I was pretty careful.
Most of my job became pulling up hot glue, which in my mind gave me permission to use hot glue also. A favorite of mine!
After I disassembled everything, I used the fabric as a template and cut out my view finders. Sewed them together, shimmied it onto the shade, and did a little decorating with trims that I could find... in all the chaos. I do think it was strange though that a glue gun and a whole bunch of glue sticks were just hanging around...
The project went super fast (3hours max), the lamp is super cute, it now fits in my space, it reminds me of Melody to see her fabric every day, and it didn't cost a thing!